This delicious Pomegranate Hibiscus Salad from Food Bloggers of Canada incorporates dark leafy greens, and fruits like pomegranates that contain antioxidants that support eye health, including polyphenols and vitamin C, as well as other vitamins and minerals like vitamin K, various B vitamins, fibre and potassium. Read More
What is behind the increase in cases of myopia, also known as nearsightedness?
Myopia is on the rise in Canada due to increased demands on vision while at school and home. While it is not possible to stop Myopia from progressing there are treatments to slow down the rate of progression. The key is to not only stop the prescription from getting worse but to also stop the growth of the eye (the axial length). Read More
My contacts are so dry! What can I do?
One of the most common issues with contact lenses in Calgary, Alberta is the dryness.
What can we do about dryness? Here are some easy solutions:
- Use non-preserved teardrops or contact lens rewetting drops throughout the day. It is important to remember to use them BEFORE you start to notice the dryness.
- Try a different polymer or type of contact. Daily lenses will usually give you more relief than biweekly or monthly lenses. Contact lens companies recognize that dryness is an issue and are always developing new contacts.
- If you are working on a digital device, make sure you follow the 20:20 rule. Every 20 minutes, look 20 feet away, for at least 20 seconds. When you break also do two to three full complete blinks.
- Decrease your wearing time. Make sure you always take your contacts out one to two hours before bedtime.
Talk to our eye doctors at Mayfair Eye Care to see which dry eye solution is best for you. Book an appointment with one of our Calgary optometrists today.
Did you know that by 65 years of age over 26% of females and 11% of males suffer from dry eyes? Dry eye disease is a multifactorial disease and causes a loss of homeostasis (stability) of the tear film. It leads to inflammation and damage to the front surfaces of the eye. While it is considered a chronic condition that progresses with age, early identification and treatment can help to prevent permanent damage and allow you to see clearly and comfortably.
Symptoms and Signs of dry eyes include:
- Burning sensation
- Red eyes
- Excessive tearing (reflex tearing)
- Lid scalloping and irritation
- Frequent eye and lid infections
- Light sensitivity
- Blurred vision
- Fatigued and ‘heavy’ eyes
Triggers can include prolonged digital screen use, contact lens wear, and eye surgery such as Lasik and cataracts.
Other risk factors include:
- Living and working in a dry environment such as southern Alberta
- Certain occupations with prolonged close work (data entry, accountants, students)
- Medications such as antihistamines and decongestants, diuretics, beta-blockers, and birth control pills
- Gender- higher incidence for females at all age groups
- Diets poor in essential fatty acids and anti-inflammatory foods
- Auto-immune diseases such as Sjogren’s syndrome, arthritis, and lupus
- Certain diseases such as diabetes
At Mayfair Eye Care, we are experienced in providing instant relief and long term solutions for anyone suffering from Dry Eye. Our Calgary office offers patient questionnaires and diagnostic testing, including tear assessment, measurements, and eyelid gland expression. These tools help determine the underlying cause and allow our doctors to develop an individualized treatment plan to help manage your symptoms. Book your consult with our Calgary optometrists today!
Myopia or nearsightedness is a condition where light is focused in front of the retina. This leads to blurred distance vision. It is estimated that 30% of Canadians are nearsighted, and the number is rising quickly with more children being diagnosed at an increasingly younger age. Myopia develops through the teenage years and usually stabilizes in the mid-20s.
The risks of high degrees of myopia include an increased incidence of sight-threatening conditions such as:
- retinal detachments
- retinal degeneration
Myopia tends to continually worsen as a child grows and the demands upon their eyes increase. If you or your child is showing large changes in myopia, come in and talk to one of our doctors about some of the myopia control options that are now available.
Myopia tends to continually worsen as a child grows and the demands upon their eyes increase. The younger the child is needing glasses, the greater the concern that they will become a high myope.
The goal of Myopia Control is to minimize the normal change in the eyes so that the child does not become a high myope with all the associated ocular health issues.
There is a variety of techniques that can be suggested for myopia control. They include:
- Environmental factors such as increased time outside, and decreased computer screen time
- Atropine eye drops that are used at bedtime
- Specialty lenses for glasses
- Specialty soft contact lenses
- Orthokeratology (overnight wearing of specialty hard contact lenses)
Come into Mayfair Eye Care and talk to one of our eye doctors about which myopia control technique would be best for you or your child.
Pink eye or conjunctivitis can be due to a number of causes from bacterial and viral eye infections to various inflammations of the front surface of the eye such as allergies and dry eye disease.
Proper diagnosis is the key to proper treatment. Make sure you come into our office, so that Dr. Penny can determine the underlying cause.
You can age gracefully and reap the rewards of good vision throughout your lifetime. Here are some simple secrets.
Unleash your inner beauty! Find a frame that suits both your style and personality. With the wide range of finishes, shapes and materials, let our fantastic optician Lori help you select your ideal frame. Progressive lenses can now be individualized to you to create fewer distortions and improve your quality of sight.
Protect your eyes! Blue light from digital devices such as your cellphone and computer can damage the retina. Make sure you have a blue-blocking anti-reflective coating on your glasses. Wear your sunglasses outside to protect from those harmful UV rays.
Eat a colourful diet! Anti-oxidant vitamins and minerals (so essential to eye health) are found brightly coloured fruits and veggies. Don’t forget omega 3- eat cold-water fish twice a week.
Annual eye examinations at Mayfair Eye Care will help keep you looking and seeing your best. You can now book your appointment online!