Eat for your Eyes: Savoury Winter Greens
December 9, 2019
Eat for your Eyes is a carefully curated collection of recipes that are delicious and good for your vision and eye health. Certain foods contain lots of goodness to help keep your eyes healthy, such as beta carotene and vitamin A. The team at Mayfair Eye Care encourages you to be your best and eat healthy to ensure good vision for your best life!
Recipe is thanks to Love & Lemons
Recipe: Spaghetti Squash with Chickpeas & Kale
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- Pinch of chile flakes
- ½ cup chickpeas, cooked drained and rinsed (or roasted)
- 2 (packed) cups chopped kale leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (or capers or olives)
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Prepare your squash following the directions in this post.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add enough olive oil to lightly coat the pan, then add the shallot, garlic, rosemary, chile flakes, salt and pepper. (I added my garlic clove whole and removed it later).
- Once the shallot starts to soften, add the chickpeas and cook for a few minutes until they turn lightly golden brown. (If using roasted chickpeas, add them at the end of this recipe instead). Remove the garlic clove, and add the kale leaves, lemon juice, and then give everything in the pan a good stir.
- Once the kale is partially wilted, add the squash strands, a little grated cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and more salt and pepper, to taste. Toss to incorporate. Remove from heat and top with toasted pine nuts and extra grated cheese.