Dry Eye Disease: An increasing epidemic
Did you know that by 65 years of age over 26% of females and 11% of males suffer from dry eyes? Dry eye disease is a multifactorial disease and causes a loss of homeostasis (stability) of the tear film. It leads to inflammation and damage to the front surfaces of the eye. While it is considered a chronic condition that progresses with age, early identification and treatment can help to prevent permanent damage and allow you to see clearly and comfortably.
Symptoms and Signs of dry eyes include:
- Burning sensation
- Red eyes
- Excessive tearing (reflex tearing)
- Lid scalloping and irritation
- Frequent eye and lid infections
- Light sensitivity
- Blurred vision
- Fatigued and ‘heavy’ eyes
Triggers can include prolonged digital screen use, contact lens wear, and eye surgery such as Lasik and cataracts.
Other risk factors include:
- Living and working in a dry environment such as southern Alberta
- Certain occupations with prolonged close work (data entry, accountants, students)
- Medications such as antihistamines and decongestants, diuretics, beta-blockers, and birth control pills
- Gender- higher incidence for females at all age groups
- Diets poor in essential fatty acids and anti-inflammatory foods
- Auto-immune diseases such as Sjogren’s syndrome, arthritis, and lupus
- Certain diseases such as diabetes
At Mayfair Eye Care, we are experienced in providing instant relief and long term solutions for anyone suffering from Dry Eye. Our Calgary office offers patient questionnaires and diagnostic testing, including tear assessment, measurements, and eyelid gland expression. These tools help determine the underlying cause and allow our doctors to develop an individualized treatment plan to help manage your symptoms. Book your consult with our Calgary optometrists today!